What are the benefits of weightlifting?
1. Lose Body Fat – Weight training builds muscle, as lean muscle increases so does metabolism. A higher metabolism means that you will burn more calories all day long.
2. Gain Strength Without Bulking – One of the most common reasons women avoid weight training is because they are afraid of “bulking.” This is a misconception as it physically can not happen. Women simply don’t have the testosterone to build muscle like men.
3. Decrease Risk of Osteoporosis – Weight training not only strengthens muscles, it strengthens your bones. Weight training increases bone density, which reduces the risk of fractures and broken bones.
4. Reduce Risk of Injury – Weight training also increases strength in connective tissues and joints. Strong joints, ligaments, and tendons are important to prevent injury and can relieve pain from osteoarthritis.
5. Burn More Calories – Weight training has been proven to raise your metabolism for up to 24 hours after a workout. The more intense the workout the more calories are burned.
6. Enhance Mood and Reduce Stress – Exercise and weight-training release endorphins. Endorphins are neurotransmitters that prevent pain, improve mood, and fight depression. An increased in endorphins naturally reduces stress and anxiety. Endorphins also stimulate the mind, improving alertness and boosting energy. Weight-training can brighten your entire day or help you combat a bad one.